Your Role. Our Mission.
As trusted members of the community, your role in this program is vital. In collaboration with the Office of Paid Family Leave (OPFL), you will aid District workers in securing paid family and medical leave when they need it most. Whether it’s the birth of a child, taking care of a loved one, or one’s health ailment, OPFL is committed to providing you with the necessary resources to educate your patients on how this program will impact their life.
- Determine if your patient is eligible for Medical Leave benefits under the Paid Family Leave law.
- Complete the PFL-MMC form for a claimant filing for Medical Leave
- Complete the PFL-FMC form for a claimant filing for Family Leave
What Events Qualify for Paid Family Leave Benefits?
There are three (3) kinds of events for which your patient may be eligible for Paid Family Leave benefits. Each type of leave has its own eligibility rules and its limit on the length of time your patient can receive benefits in a year. No matter how many different types of leave your patient may take in a year, no more than eight (8) weeks of Paid Family Leave benefits can be received in a year. The three (3) types of leave are:
- Parental leave - receive benefits to bond with a new child for up to 8 weeks in a year;
- Family leave - receive benefits to care for a family member for up to 6 weeks in a year; and
- Medical leave - receive benefits for your own serious health condition for up to 2 weeks in a year.
The new Paid Family Leave program in the District of Columbia is just the policy we need to level the playing field and guarantee all workers in the nation’s capital the job security they deserve. With this program, one illness in a family will no longer activate a cycle of systemic inequities that can lead to unemployment and even homelessness. At Mary’s Center, we have seen this cycle play out over and over again in our 32 years of providing services, with a devastating emotional and economic toll on our participants who are forced to choose between their jobs and their health. Paid Family Leave gives everyone a fair shot, and we are extremely proud to see the program coming to fruition for District workers.
-Maria Gomez, president and CEO, Mary’s Center
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What information will I need to provide a person who is applying for paid family leave?
As a licensed health care providers, you will need to complete a medical certification for the claimant. If the claimant is filing for Medical Leave, use the PFL-MMC form. If the claimant is filing for Family Leave, complete the PFL-FMC form. These forms ask for information such as your name, your work address, your medical license number, the name of the diagnosis of your patient’s serious health condition and additional details about the condition.
2. Do my patients have to live in DC?
No, however they do need to work in the District.
3. Will my opinion assist in determining who may be eligible for Paid Family Leave benefits?
Yes, your opinion about your patient’s medical condition and their ability to work, attend school, or perform other activities of daily living will be considered when OPFL approves or denies benefits.
4. When filling out forms, will there be a way to submit additional documentation or explanation?
Yes, the medical forms have allotted space for additional information to be added to a person’s application.
5. How long do I have to fill out the required forms for the claimant?
In order for the claimant to receive paid leave benefits, the claimant must include the medical certification form at the time of application. The claimant will be waiting for you to complete the form before submitting a claim, so it is important to complete the form as soon as possible.
6. Will the medical information I provide be kept confidential?
Yes, all medical documentation received by OPFL is kept confidential and is not released to anyone other than OPFL staff unless required by law.
Do you have additional questions or need more information?
Our team is here to assist and support you. If you have specific inquiries, please send us an email. We are open Monday-Friday, 9 am to 5 pm ET. We look forward to hearing from you.